At Holt Farm Junior School, we uphold and promote an understanding of fundamental British Values. We ensure that all our children are taught about democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs. Here are some of the ways in which British Values are recognised and promoted at our school:
· The school ethos and behaviour policy revolve around 'respect' as one of our core values, and discussions and assemblies focus on what respect means and how it is shown
· We actively promote diversity through celebrations of different faiths and cultures in lessons and assemblies
· We explore awide range of themes that cover tolerance, mutual respect and democracy through lessons such as PSHE and RE. Our PSHE scheme (Jigsaw) contributes, as a good PSHE programme should, to the British Values agenda very significantly, both through the direct teaching of information and through the experiential learning children will enjoy. The five strands of the British Values agenda have been mapped across every Puzzle and every Piece (lesson).
· E-safety is covered through our computing curriculum and awareness activities throughout the year
· Our children have the opportunity to analyse events in UK and world history where British values have been tested
· We promote British values in newsletters, assemblies and through themed days/weeks such as UK Parliament Week and making creative links with other subjects. We also invite visitors to speak and work with our children e.g. Fire Service, local magistrates, Police, the Two Johns and our local Member of Parliament.
· Pupils are given the freedom to make personal choices such as the choice of challenge in lessons, the choice to participate in one of our numerous extra-curricular clubs
· Democracy is promoted through our active Pupil Voice Teams where children are regularly asked to contribute their ideas and to vote on issues of importance to them. This includes an elected School Council, Eco Team and Sports Council (see our Pupil Zone for further information).